The Baha'i Studies Listserv
On 21 Jun 2013 at 21:51, Don Calkins wrote:

> So an alternative, more literal, translation would be - "These thick
> clouds are the exponents of idle fancies and vain imaginings, who are
> none other but the learned of Persia.  . . . . . . . . . . .

That is not more, or less. literal than "divines." You could also say
that the "learned ones of Baha" are  "the divines of Baha." It is one
word, translated in different ways according to context. I generally
tend to use "divine" in my translation, because the high status of the
hard sciences and the collapse of the religious sciences means that
"learning" and "scholar" and "science" no longer have the religious
connotation that they had in the lifetime of Baha'u'llah and
Abdu'l-Baha

--
Sen McGlinn
Academic Text Services