The Baha'i Studies Listserv
We now have regional deputization funds, which can support living costs for
pioneers.  My suspicion is that sooner or later the system will be abused,
prompting more scrutiny in how funds are distributed.

My main concern is that some non-Baha'is will find out about this fund and
become Baha'is under false pretences as a means for financial gain.  Hard up
for money and wanting to leave town?  In that case pretend you believe in
Baha'u'llah, get signed up and then collect the money to live in a new house.
I suspect some people may be found out because of no evidence they are teaching
the Faith, and maybe little or no attendance at Baha'i events.  I also wonder
if some Baha'is may see this system as a means for financial gain.  Some may
not have any bad intentions but just see it as the Baha'i community supporting
them financially when they are in a tough position.

I worry about the possibility that people may fudge the figures when asking for
financial assistance.  Does anyone ask for an invoice?  If not people could
inflate living expenses somewhat, as long as the figures were in plausible
limits.  So I just worry that something bad will happen and then policies on
how to distribute funds will get tightened to avoid the system being abused.

David