The Baha'i Studies Listserv

This is my brief summary of the four turns of critical realism. As I suggested
yesterday, I think that the perspective can be very useful from a Baha'i
perspective:

Critical Realism<http://www.rockermouse.com/criticalrealism.html> (Roy
Bhaskar): In the first turn (or phase) of critical realism (from 1975-2000),
called basic critical
realism<http://international-criticalrealism.com/about-critical-realism/basic-critical-realism/>,
 there are three levels of existence. They are the Real, the Actual, and the
Empirical. In other words, Bhaskar disagrees with Aristotle. Since the Real
cannot be directly observed, we need to be humble about our claims to knowledge.

Dialectical critical
realism<http://international-criticalrealism.com/about-critical-realism/dialectical-critical-realism/>
 (from 1993-2000) was the second turn of critical realism. Within the
capitalist system, struggling against the dialectic (or contradiction) of
alienation from the Real leads to truth, social justice, and freedom from
ignorance.
Transcendental dialectical critical
realism<https://books.google.com/books?id=FH58AgAAQBAJ&pg=PT221&lpg=PT221&dq=%22transcendental+dialectical+critical+realism%22&source=bl&ots=FlR3pvMT70&sig=5jDB1ZE35pry1-TN284KBgdaOsM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBWoVChMIqdLqiqfjxgIVlxOSCh2rEA_n#v=onepage&q=%22transcendental%20dialectical%20critical%20realism%22&f=false>,
 an intermediate or transitional turn (from 2000-2002) between dialectical
critical realism and the philosophy of metaReality, followed Bhaskarʼs personal
experiences with reiki<http://www.reikialliance.com/>, Transcendental
Meditation<file:///G:/web/easy/jccc/www.tm.org/>®, and other practices.
Bhaskar, who did not belong to any religious organization, referred to
transcending ordinary life through personal faith-based activities.
The philosophy of
metaReality<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/meta-Reality/info>, Bhaskar’s
completed turn of critical realism, was developed over the final dozen years of
his life (from 2002-2014). According to the philosophy of metaReality, the Real
consists of copresence (unity in difference), relative reality (difference or
diversity), and demireality (disunity in difference). All emancipatory projects
(not only faith-based activities), in the philosophy of metaReality, can
eliminate the oppression (or domination) of demireality through copresence, the
cosmic envelope, the ground state, or nonduality.

http://markfoster.org/marxisms.html

__,_._,___
--
Namaste, Mark A. Foster, Ph.D., Professor of Sociology
Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, KS

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.