Dear bareos-users,

I'm using 16.2.4 and found out that smartctl reports errors when querying my
tape library (HP G2 1/8 Storeever with Ultrium 920 LTO-3 SCSI):

smartctl -x /dev/sg5

results in:
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
TapeAlert Supported
TapeAlert: OK
Current Drive Temperature:     34 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        64 C

Error Counter logging not supported

Last n error events log page
  Error event 54:
    4, 574146781]} 6 �    ���
  Error event 19976:

Device does not support Self Test logging
Device does not support Background scan results logging

converting it the binary output to utf-8, I don't get smarter:

smartctl 6.5 2016-01-24 r4214 [x86_64-linux-4.4.0-103-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               HP
Product:              1x8 G2 AUTOLDR
Revision:             4.60
Logical Unit id:      0x500110a00091c1d4
Serial number:        XXXX
Device type:          medium changer
Transport protocol:   Parallel SCSI (SPI-4)
Local Time is:        Mon Jan 15 13:36:35 2018 CET
Temperature Warning:  Disabled or Not Supported

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
TapeAlert Supported
TapeAlert: OK
Current Drive Temperature:     34 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        64 C

Error Counter logging not supported

Last n error events log page
  Error event 6706:
    ˁlDM`S>C8̍^DF'>Á:YA^Zbb^Cu2

Device does not support Self Test logging
Device does not support Background scan results logging

I found this relevant post from Andrei Cenja
https://marc.info/?l=bacula-users&m=127919961108561

but without any reply.
Does somebody else encounter those errors?

I don't find anything in the error log via the autoloader webinterface (while
previous errors, e.g. tape I/O errors, are in the error log). Also I have
myself send the tapealert as described in the bareos manual and there are no
errors listed.

Because the error numbers are also constantly changing (while library is idle),
I'm not sure whether I should take them serious at all.