I know plenty of questions have been submitted before on various forums
about inability of Bareos to connect to PostgreSQL, but none of the
solutions seem to work in this case. Here's the last portion of the log (as
bareos user) of

bareos-dir -t -f -d 500

bareos-dir (50): postgresql.c:239-0 pg_real_connect done
> bareos-dir (50): postgresql.c:241-0 db_user=bareos db_name=bareos
> db_password=*Redacted*
> bareos-dir: dird.c:1157-0 Could not open Catalog "Catalog", database
> "bareos".
> bareos-dir: dird.c:1162-0 postgresql.c:246 Unable to connect to PostgreSQL
> server. Database=bareos User=bareos
> Possible causes: SQL server not running; password incorrect;
> max_connections exceeded.
> 00 FVbareos-dir ERROR TERMINATION
> Please correct the configuration in /etc/bareos/bareos-dir.conf

This started happening after an upgrade from Debian Stretch to Buster. I've
tried restarting IPv6, which I also changed at the same time, recreating
the catalog, which works just fine, testing psql, which can connect fine as
either postgres or bareos users, using a Unix socket connection or TCP/IP,
checking the PSQL connection allowances, and connecting with or without a
password. I don't have SELinux enabled, which was the solution for one
person on a different forum.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should try next? Thank you.

Avery