Slow down a bit...

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:42:43 AM UTC-4, Charles Steinkuehler
wrote:

> On 9/19/2013 5:41 AM, garyamort wrote:
> > While digging through Robert Nelson's omap image builder, I noticed that
> > he's using Qemu at some point to emulate the Beagle Bone from the PC and
> > download/install packages.
> >
> > Digging through his code left me confused...  I understand he is using
> the
> > qemu-arm-static executable in order to execute a sequence of commands,
> but
> > he also seems to be pulling some code from linuxCnC for the emulator
> image,
> > leaving me confused.
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Can someone give me a summary of how to invoke qemu-arm-system to use
> the
> > latest released omap4 images from
> >
> http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/raring/main/installer-armhf/current/images/omap4/netboot/<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fports.ubuntu.com%2Fubuntu-ports%2Fdists%2Fraring%2Fmain%2Finstaller-armhf%2Fcurrent%2Fimages%2Fomap4%2Fnetboot%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHq5GkpdfBYh075PkJNWzM6EkKPFQ>
>

> Robert's image builder isn't actually pulling in anything from LinuxCNC,
> those are hooks for my MachineKit image:
>
> http://bb-lcnc.blogspot.com/p/machinekit_16.html<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fbb-lcnc.blogspot.com%2Fp%2Fmachinekit_16.html&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNF8gaoh0QEDJ7jAment9Iv1RsW-dw>
>

> ...which is built with Robert's scripts and a slightly different
> configuration.  Robert has pulled my changes to his scripts and left the
> MachineKit configuration files as an example of how to build a custom
> image.  If you don't create a custom config file (based on
> config.in<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fconfig.in&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFD_lndHNrr5UbhFINTE1ySWg3Apw>or
>
> config.machinekit), you'll get Robert's default build of various Debian
> and Ubuntu images.
>
> As for the qemu directions, it's super simple:
>
> Setup a root filesystem for an ARM device.  You can use debootstrap to
> make one from scratch (the way Robert's scripts do), or use one of the
> various pre-made root filesystems.

Which is this? It makes me think it's the SD card image, but...I'm not
flashing my real Beaglebone for this exercise!

> Copy the qemu-arm-static binary into ${arm-root-fs}/usr/bin/
>
> arm-root-fs=/path/to/arm/root/filesystem/
>
> sudo cp $(which qemu-arm-static) ${arm-root-fs}/usr/bin/
>
> Then all you do is:
>
> sudo chroot ${arm-root-fs} /bin/sh
>
> ...and you're running a shell in your arm rootfs.  Type uname -a and
> notice you are no longer on an x86 CPU!  :)

OK, this chroot procedure kind of reminds me of when my grub bootloader
kept dying on me everytime I tried to "fix" it. But I'm still not sure what
reference to use for building the root file system.