On 2/18/14, 10:49 AM, "k...@cranehome.info" <k...@cranehome.info> wrote:

>I think I have seen those on my scope during I2C transactions as well.
>They look like little shark fins that sometimes get high enough to be
>seen as a logic 1.   They have no impact on the device as it's just the
>transition time between when the master is done transmitting the device
>address and starting to send data.  The data line is released by the
>device but the master has not started to place data on the wire yet so
>the line starts to float back up via the pull-up.  In your photo, it
>happens on the falling edge of the 9th clock bit and it's gone before the
>rising edge of the 10th clock so it's not being read as data.
>
>Stronger pull-ups will just assist the runt in rising faster since the
>lower resistance allows the data line capacitance to be charged faster.
>On the scope you'd see the shark-fin start getting taller as you reduce
>the resistance.  Your logic analyzer is just showing the brief time that
>the runt was interpreted as a logic 1 by the logic analyzer. Data isn't
>clocked in until SCL goes from low to high.
>
>I think what you are chasing there is a red herring.   The Logic analyzer
>shows both data values being what they ought to be.
Unless your lines are very long, there is probably nothing wrong with your
I2C signals. My guess is you have a long ground wire on your oscilloscope
probe and this is causing the ringing. Use a high speed probe (small
distance between measurement tip and ground pin) and I¹m sure the signals
will look a lot cleaner. The long ground wire is acting like an antenna.

Regards,
John