If I understand correctly
Boot rom dont care about the FAT table . its only read first several blocks
generally , MLO should be on the 2nd block ,1st block is MBR ,
But if there is a FAT file system . 2nd block should be fat table ,
3nd block should be MLO

whats my failed boot experience is when you format a sd card ,then copy a
dummy file first ,then copy MLO to fat partiton
this will cause boot failed

and if you try another way , fdisk from 10M an create only one ext4
partiton
dd if=MLO of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=2
this still boot mlo ,but no u-boot.bin , this only because u-boot source
code

Actually , if you check QNX ipl source code , they dont need any FAT

And if you really want a customed u-boot ,
You can get it minimized lower than 64K and boot kernel directly