If you Google “Beaglebone latest images” you will see that the OS of choice
(and best supported) is Debian.

I suggest that you flash that image to your uSD card.

From: beagleboard@googlegroups.com [mailto:beagleboard@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Henry Yongfan Men
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2015 9:01 AM
To: beagleboard@googlegroups.com
Cc: eric.f...@gmail.com; henry...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [beagleboard] push button on 7-inch touch screen to send some
strings through the serial port.

Dear Eric,

Thanks for all the information! I will read all the articles and videos. Now I
have a small problem. I followed the video to map an image of Angstrom on my SD
card, and boot the BBB with this system. However, when I try to connect the BBB
to my mac through USB, the ip of the BBB won't be assigned automatically (it
shows "self assigned IP", 169.254.51.158). Also I cannot ssh to it from
Terminal. So I cannot get the control of the BBB from my computer. Do you know
how to solve it?

Thanks!

Henry

在 2015年6月12日星期五 UTC-4下午10:46:34,Eric写道:

As a quick hack, the hard button(s) may be easier with less code, but you are
right, using the soft button approach with software based menus is much more
flexible.  With the touchscreen attached, the beagle starts running it's
display on the touchscreen and enables the touch interface as if it were a
mouse.  what you will likely want to do is when the system starts have it start
your button menu interface.  that program will be the main thing the user sees
and by pushing certain buttons in the menu you create each button causes a
software action or conversely a software routine can bring up a window or
button.

take a look at the following to get you started:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PyQt
https://wiki.python.org/moin/PyQt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PySide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PyGTK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxPython
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tkinter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53oeJPKRttY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqK8N48kPXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvb7Kv59qA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D_aEYiBU2c

within python you ought to be able to use the python serial library and one of
the above libraries/toolkits to get your buttons working.  i.e. push software
button, execute routine that spews string over serial, return to menu.

Eric

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Henry Yongfan Men <henr...@gmail.com