The 24v is isolated from the 5v for the BBB, I've found sometimes my
machine is unstable and sometimes it is fine.  I did pick up a 24v 6a
supply and haven't had an issue since.  Also, when I plugin the supply to
the wall, it can support powering up the machine as compared to the
previous supply which had issues supplying whatever initial power the
system needs (I didn't design the hardware only reverse engineering it to
write my own open source software).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/4fc1835d-ba34-4adc-88da-cb3d4b865274%40googlegroups.com.