Well, considering the wireless beaglebone require a 4.4+ kernel, and 4.4+
kernels were not developed for this platform until the Jessie image was
used . . . Yes you need to use Jessie. I suppose you could *try* compiling
your own version of of the kernel for Wheezy. . . but god that would be a
nightmare.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORoHCbXEkjNwe1L%3DWXkNTd80f%3DoQM5mCobHZTNg45XLZyg%40mail.gmail.com.