On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 10:57 PM, <clay.gul...@healthelt.com> wrote:

> So, this is what so (fun?) about the BB ecosystem.
>
> I'm updating to the most recent image, trying to run code that has been
> working great for a good long time now, and it fails utterly with the same
> issue Nuno is experiencing.
>
> I understand William Herman's point of view - for him, this is blaringly
> obvious. Why so hard? I'm sure he wonders. I'm willing to bet that William
> is an expert at embedded linux, and perhaps does it as a day job. That's
> admirable, and I think it would be fun to do that too.
>
> But I don't.
>
> I like making blinky lights. https://www.facebook.
> com/claytongulick/videos/pcb.10155266610164779/10155266622269779/?type=3&
> theater
>
> My point here, is that if the BB community expects folks like me to stick
> around and not just use a raspberry pi for everything, we need to make this
> stuff easier.
>
> I'm using the same documented SPI pins that Nuno is using, and on the
> latest image, it just doesn't work. Not only that, but the commands in
> uEnv.txt have changed.
>
> Where is the documentation on this? How are we expected to figure this out?
>
> And now, according to Robert, I just simply can't use the pins I was using
> before without using something called dtb-rebuilder?
>
> Look guys, I know this stuff is like breathing to you and not a big deal.
> But changes like this without clear documentation are going to lose the
> hobbyist/maker community.
>
> Sorry for the rant, I'm a bit frustrated, it's midnight and I've been
> working on this for hours without success, just to get SPI working the same
> way it used to.
>
> For now, I'm going to revert to an older image. I'd love to update my
> github doc with some clear instructions on how to get SPI up and going on
> all of the documented SPI pins if someone can point me to a place where I
> can figure it out.

You need to slow down, and learn things. Seriously, when I first had a BBB
in hand, I knew nothing about embedded Linux, and had to learn everything
from the ground up. Since this was also when the beaglebone black first
came out, there were no articles on the web. However, what I did not
understand at the time, was the BBW was pretty much the same hardware from
an embedded linux users standpoint. There were a lot of article out there .
. .

Additionally, you should understand no one here gets paid to help anyone.
So this comment "if you guys want to keep me . . ." comment is going to
fall on deaf ears. The embedded Linux community is huge, but no one wakes
up early morning thinking "gee, I hope there are a bunch of questions to
answer today . . ."

Anyway, you probably have a lot to learn, just so you can form a proper
question. Which by the way, was how it was with me a little under 5 years
ago.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqj9q0TT-_b2%3DW9kpe6w0w0Dd88%2BQ-7PMWdBeCuAj9PPg%40mail.gmail.com.