Hello Folks,

I need to make a substitution in place for each element of an array, and I need to do this to two arrays. Currently the relevant code fragment (without pragmas) is:

--------
foreach my $element (@cddb_artist)
    {
    $element =~ s/^.*?([0-9,a-f]{8}):.*$/$1/;
    }
foreach my $element (@cddb_track)
    {
    $element =~ s/^.*?([0-9,a-f]{8}):.*$/$1/;
    }
--------

The above fragment seems to be a good candidate for generalizing into a subroutine. I have two questions regarding this:

1. Can this particular regular expression, involving as it does, matched sub-pattern variables like $1, be used as a subroutine argument, and if so, how?

2. Can arbitrary regular expressions, including /PATTERN/REPLACEMENT/ versions for substitutions, be used as subroutine arguments, and if so, how?

TIA.

Chandra