1) If it doesn't work in wget, you're doing something wrong.
2) You want the Perl LWP/Mechanize module. (Mechanize works on top of
LWP and does much more than you need, but I like it ;) )
3) Clicking the link in a borwser opens a webpage for me, not
downloads a file. The download starts a bit later, initialized by some
JavaScript code on that webpage. JS support in Perl is iffy. Mechanize
has a alpha/beta JS plugin, but... its not the correct solution to
your issue.
The direct download link does appear in the bottom right of the page
you linked us to (for people with JS turned off.) Try wget on that ;)
eg
$ wget
'http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-2.0.0.13&os=linux&lang=en-US'