On Tuesday, July 10, 2007, at 08:44AM, "James Howison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I'm just sending some feedback to a journal site that generates
>bibtex (yay!) but puts spaces in the citekey (boo!).  Does anyone
>know a good reference to which characters are allowed/not allowed in
>citekeys?

The LaTeX Companion, 2nd ed. (p. 842) says that \cite and \label keys have the
same restrictions as command names, theoretically ([a-z][A-Z]).  However,
digits and some punctuation characters are allowed, unless they are used in
LaTeX's syntax (such as _ or #).

>Even better is there something considered the standard reference to
>writing and parsing bibtex?  I searched for "bibtex specification"
>and 'bibtex format specification' without luck.

Yeah, the WEB source for bibtex.  Good luck with it...  Look for a TUGBoat
article by Nelson Beebe, cited here

http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/software/bibparse/bibparse.html

You can also look at the docs (pod files) for btparse, which are in the
vendorsrc directory; they're more readable than the bibtex source, in my
opinion.  BibTypeManager.m has a couple of character set definitions that you
might find helpful as well.

--
Adam