Ah, thank you! I knew I was missing something. The mailing list should
have been my first place to look. I should have specified
"site:lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/" in my searches.

To summarize the thread Ondřej referenced, this bit from Michał Kępień
explains the plan:

"While I don't have a specific date for you, we plan to do such a
"rollover" again when BIND 9.20.1 or 9.20.2 gets released, i.e. in about
2-3 months from now.  We will definitely roll all three repositories at
the same time, i.e.:

  - "bind-esv" will move from 9.16 to 9.18,
  - "bind" will move from 9.18 to 9.20,
  - "bind-dev" will move from 9.19/9.20 to 9.21."

Then this paragraph from Ondřej Surý himself:
"The current plan is that on next Wednesday (next week)
[ed:2024-06-26], the bind-esv repositories will
be bumped from 9.16 to 9.18, the 'bind' repository will stay on 9.18
until 9.20 is released,
and we'll probably stick with Michał's plan to do the bump around
9.20.1 or 9.20.2 release,
probably mid 9.20.1-9.20.2 release cycle as you suggested."

So we will look for 9.20.1 or .2 in the isc/bind repo in the next few
months. The update plan is very sensible to me.

Thanks again! You are doing great work.