Dear Colleagues,

It is my pleasure to inform you our latest paper presented and published in
2014 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal
Processing (ICASSP) held on May 4-9, 2014 in Florence, Italy.

M.Esfahanian, H. Zhuang, N. Erdol, "A New Approach for Classification of
Dolphin Whistles,"  *2014 IEEE International Conference on* *Acoustics,
Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP)*, pp. 6038,6042, 4-9 May 2014.

You can read the paper on IEEE website at below link:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6854763&isnumber=6853544

http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICASSP.2014.6854763

Abstract:
This paper presents a novel approach to categorize dolphin whistles into
various types. Most accurate methods to identify dolphin whistles are
tedious and not robust, especially in the presence of ocean noise. One of
the biggest challenges of dolphin whistle extraction is the coexistence of
short-time duration wide-band echo clicks with the whistles. In this
research a subspace of select orientation parameters of the 2-D Gabor
wavelet frames is utilized to enhance or suppress signals by their
orientation. The result is a Gabor image that contains a noise free
grayscale representation of the fundamental dolphin whistle which is
resampled and fed into the Sparse Representation Classifier. The classifier
uses the L1-norm to select a match. Experimental studies conducted
demonstrate: (a) a robust technique based on the Gabor wavelet filters in
extracting reliable call patterns, and (b) the superior performance of
Sparse Representation Classifier for identifying dolphin whistles by their
call type.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if you don't
have access to the paper at  mesfa...@fau.edu

Best,

--
Mahdi Esfahanian