Help us Create a Directory of UK Sound Collections

Amongst the literary treasures held in the basements of the British Library
sits an extraordinary collection of sounds.  From recordings of extinct
species, voices from the past, to music across all genres, the British
Library’s sound archive is held on more than 1.5 million physical items, just
waiting to be heard.

But all of these recordings, from those made on the earliest wax cylinders to
contemporary CD-Rs, face a real and immediate threat from the combination of
physical degradation and the disappearance of the technologies that support
physical media.

Professional consensus is that we have approximately 15 years in which to save
the UK’s sound collections. Without taking steps to preserve these recordings
now, they will be lost.

To understand the risks facing the UK’s sound collections and to map the scale
of the problem, the British Library is initiating a project to collect
information about our recorded heritage, to create a directory of sound
collections in the UK. By telling us what you have, we can help plan for their
preservation, for future generations.

Our aim is to be comprehensive; to search out sounds that exist in libraries,
archives, museums, galleries, schools and colleges, charities, societies,
businesses and in your homes.  And we’re not just interested in large
collections: a single item might be just as important as a whole archive.

So if you think you might have a rare or unique collection of sounds, or just a
recording that should be preserved, let us know!

The census is live now and will run until the end of March 2015.  You can read
more about the project, and send us information about your collections here:
www.bl.uk/projects/uk-sound-directory

The British Library’s Directory of UK Sound Collections is one of the first
steps in our Save our Sounds<http://www.bl.uk/projects/save-our-sounds>
programme; one of the key strands of Living
Knowledge<http://www.bl.uk/projects/living-knowledge-the-british-library-2015-2023>,
 the British Library’s new vision and purpose for its future.

You can follow the British Library Sound Archive on Twitter via @soundarchive
and tag with #SaveOurSounds
Cheryl Tipp

Curator, Wildlife and Environmental Sounds
Sound and Vision
The British Library
96 Euston Rd
London NW1 2DB
United Kingdom

+44 020 7412 7403

http://www.bl.uk/
https://twitter.com/CherylTipp

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk<http://www.bl.uk/>
The British Library’s latest Annual Report and Accounts :
www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html<http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html>
Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book.
www.bl.uk/adoptabook<http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook>
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
postmas...@bl.uk<mailto:postmas...@bl.uk> : The contents of this e-mail must
not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author
and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The British
Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the author.
Think before you print