Title: Senior Research Associate I - Acoustician

The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the
world. At the U, we are committed to attracting and retaining a talented
workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through
teaching, research, and service. We are leaders in the area of education,
scholarship, intercollegiate athletics and service. Come join our team!

The Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS) of the
University of Miami invites applicants for a Research Associate position in
Marine Biology and Fisheries.

We seek a Senior Research Associate to join our group and work as an
acoustic analyst in the NOAA Southeast Fisheries Science Center Protected
Resources and Biodiversity Division. The incumbent’s primary focus will be
using existing passive acoustic survey data to characterize ocean
soundscapes throughout the South Atlantic Bight. The researcher will
analyze ocean acoustic environments over time and space, and will
characterize the spatio-temporal component of low-frequency natural and
anthropogenic noise sources as a function of frequency.   The research will
involve collaboration with scientists at the Bioacoustics Research Program
at Cornell University and the Southeast Fisheries Science Center.

Candidates for this position should have (1) a Master’s degree in Biology,
Oceanography, or related field (2) demonstrated experience with
quantitative analytical methods such as bioacoustical analysis, ambient
noise analysis, population modeling, habitat modeling, or time-series
analyses, (3) basic statistical and programming skills, (4) the ability and
desire to work as part of a collaborative team, and (5) excellent problem
solving and critical thinking skills, good organizational skills and the
ability to plan daily duties. Applicants with experience in fish
bioacoustics and/or ambient noise modeling are preferred. Applicants with
higher education levels are welcome to apply.

The position will be located at the NOAA Southeast Fisheries Science Center
Protected Resources and Biodiversity Division located in Miami, FL. Start
date is flexible, but ideally around 24 August, 2015.

Apply online (www.umiami.edu/careers). Position P100005694. Curriculum
Vitae and the contact information for 3 people who can provide letters of
recommendation are required.

The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive
benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission,
vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.