Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce our new paper titled "Estimating colony sizes of
emerging bats using acoustic recordings" by Laura Kloepper, Meike
Linnenschmidt, Zelda Blowers, Brian Branstetter, Joel Ralston, and James
Simmons. This paper is open access with Royal Society Open Science and is
available at the following URL:

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/3/160022

Abstract:

The decline of bats demands more widespread monitoring of populations for
conservation and management. Current censusing methods are either prone to
bias or require costly equipment. Here, we report a new method using
passive acoustics to determine bat count census from overall acoustic
amplitude of the emerging bat stream. We recorded the video and audio of an
emerging colony of Mexican free-tailed bats from two cave locations across
multiple nights. Instantaneous bat counts were calculated from the video
frames, and the bat stream’s acoustic amplitude corresponding to each video
frame was determined using three different methods for calculating acoustic
intensity. We found a significant link between all three acoustic
parameters and bat count, with the highest *R*2 of 0.742 linking RMS
pressure and bat count. Additionally, the relationship between acoustics
and population size at one cave location could accurately predict the
population size at another cave location. The data were gathered with
low-cost, easy-to-operate equipment, and the data analysis can be easily
accomplished using automated scripts or with open-source acoustic software.
These results are a potential first step towards creating an acoustic model
to estimate bat population at large cave colonies worldwide.

Cheers,
Laura Kloepper
Assistant Professor
Saint Mary's College