About the DLL limit:

Just wanna make sure you're aware of "new" environment variable
R_MAX_NUM_DLLS available in R (>= 3.4.0).  It allows you to push the
current default limit of 100 open DLLs a bit higher.  It can be set in
.Renviron or before, e.g.

$ R_MAX_NUM_DLLS=500 R

This, of course, assumes that you can set it, which you might not be
able to do on build servers.  Also, there is an upper limit
min(0.6*fd_limit,1000) that depends on the number of files you can
have open at the same time (fd_limit), e.g. on my Ubuntu 16.04 I've
got:

$ ulimit -Sn
1024

so R_MAX_NUM_DLLS=614 is the maximum for me.

/Henrik