Contact emails:hay...@chromium.org, denom...@chromium.org

Explainer:

https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/blob/main/explainers/subresource-loading.md

Specification:

https://wicg.github.io/webpackage/subresource-loading.html

Provides a new approach to load a large number of resources efficiently
using a format that allows multiple resources to be bundled, Web Bundles
<https://wpack-wg.github.io/bundled-responses/draft-ietf-wpack-bundled-responses.html>
.

Note that the scope of this "Intent to Ship" is only v1, which is explained
in our long term plan <https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/648>. We
have been conducting the Origin Trial for v1 features
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/refs/heads/main/content/browser/web_package/subresource_loading_origin_trial.md>.
Given that the outcome is promising, we’d like to ship v1 as MVP in order
to mitigate the risk of "develop everything and ship them all at once".

After shipping v1, we'll explore *v2*, designing and implementing missing
key features, eg. cache-aware WebBundles. There are several proposals, such
as Bundle Preloading <https://github.com/WICG/bundle-preloading> (discussion
<https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/699>), Bundle Dependencies
<https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/blob/main/extensions/proposals/dependencies-section.md>,
and others. We continue to explore this area to identify a missing Web
Platform primitive in order to serve large Web Apps in a cache-efficient
way with Web Bundles.

Blink component

Blink>Loader>WebPackaging

TAG review: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/616

TAG review status: While the status of the review is open, we have
addressed the concerns raised in the discussion. In particular, we plan to
explore the designs in v2 as explained above. Additionally, if a concern
with the extension part
<https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/blob/main/explainers/subresource-loading-opaque-origin-iframes.md>
continues to be an issue, we aim to address it in v2 as well.

Risks:

Interoperability and Compatibility:

No interoperability and compatibility risk has been identified. This is
purely a feature addition. A browser which doesn’t support this feature
should load subresources from the network, as usual.

Gecko: No signal (issue
<https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/590>)

WebKit: No signal (ML
<https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2021-November/032038.html>)

Web Developers:

Google Ads (use case <https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/624>)
(origin trial participant)

> Web bundle serving is a major overhaul of how GPT requests and renders
ads, built on top of a new browser API which we have been designing with
the Chrome team.  It offers large loading performance improvements and
security and privacy relative to safeframe rendering:

   -

   Performance improvements by fetching multiple Ads creatives in a single
   request.
   -

   Enhance privacy: Creative contents can no longer be read or modified by
   the publisher or others in the publisher's JS context. Creatives can no
   longer read or modify each other.

Ergonomics

This feature can be used to improve loading performance by fetching
multiple resources in a single request. If a browser doesn’t support this
feature, a request should be served from a network as usual.

`HTMLScriptElement.supports("webbundle")` can be used for feature detection
as well.

There are several tools and plugins
<https://github.com/WICG/webpackage#web-bundles> available for packaging
Web Bundles.

Security

Received approval for Security and Privacy in our launch bug
<http://crbug.com/1306701>. We had addressed a security concern for the
usage of <link> elements. The API now uses <script> elements. We ship only
<script type=webbundle>.

Debuggability

Developers have the ability to test this functionality on their pages by
opening DevTools and selecting the Network tab. This allows the DevTools to
represent Web Bundles and the resources that originate from it being
attributed to the Web Bundle (link
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1182537>).

Is this feature fully tested by WPT?

Yes (link
<https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/tree/master/web-bundle/subresource-loading>
).

Tracking bug

crbug.com/1082020

Launch bug

crbug.com/1306701

Estimated milestones

M102

Links to entry on the Chrome Platform Status

Hayato