On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 11:49 PM 'Tommy Steimel' via blink-dev <
blink-dev@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 9:43 PM Yoav Weiss <yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:
>

>> On Friday, November 17, 2023 at 8:47:34 PM UTC+1 Tommy Steimel wrote:
>>
>> Contact emailsstei...@chromium.org, liber...@chromium.org
>>
>> ExplainerNone
>>
>> Specificationhttps://github.com/WICG/document-picture-in-picture/pull/104
>>
>> Summary
>>
>> This adds a user gesture requirement for the resizeBy() and resizeTo()
>> Window APIs for document picture-in-picture windows. This allows websites
>> to make use of those APIs while mitigating much of the abuse potential of
>> those APIs on an always-on-top window.
>>

>> Blink componentBlink>Media>PictureInPicture
>> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EMedia%3EPictureInPicture>
>>
>> TAG reviewN/A as this is a minor change to the behavior of an existing
>> API
>>
>> TAG review statusNot applicable
>>
>> Risks
>>

>> Interoperability and Compatibility
>>
>> None
>>

>> This added requirement would mean that calls to these API can now fail.
>> Is that new? Or are developers already expected to handle failures?
>> Do we expect developers to start checking the UserActivation API
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/UserActivation> before
>> calling these methods?
>>

> Currently these APIs always fail on document picture-in-picture windows
> regardless of user activation (to prevent really spammy always-on-top
> windows). We don't expect developers to check the UserActivation API at
> all, just to only call resizeTo()/resizeBy() in response to a user gesture.
>

>From the subject and summary I also originally assumed this intent was
about adding a user gesture restriction, and it looks like your security
approval was also based on that incorrect understanding. Can you please
re-request a security review with the clarification of the scope of this
feature? Please also update the summary of the feature in ChromeStatus, eg:
"This enables the resizeBy() and resizeTo() Windows methods on document
picture-in-picture windows, but with the added restriction of a user
gesture requirement to mitigate the abuse potential".

Otherwise it looks fine to me.