There is no indication in the babel-1.6 source tree that I could find
to indicate that it is not FOSS.  It looks like openbabel-2.1.1 is in
the package tree, and it would be worth checking out I take it.  In
fact, thank you for the excellent suggestions!

Regards,

--
Michael L. Love Ph.D
Department of Biophysics and Biophysical Chemistry

Interoffice Mail: 608B WBSB, SoM

office: 410-614-2267
lab:    410-614-3179
fax:    410-502-6910