Hi Andreas,

On 24/06/2022 16:51, Andreas Mantke wrote:
I'm not sure, if you as a former Collabora staff member don't any
potential CoI in the whole topic.

I'm pretty sure though =) László hasn't worked with Collabora since 2017 and AFAIK has no (even indirect) commercial relationship with us since then.

If working together at the same company with someone creates a five+ year CoI - then we have an issue, because large numbers of core LibreOffice developers have enjoyed working with each other at different companies over the years from Sun and Novell/SUSE onwards.

In fact - it's wonderful that the community has managed to retain as many passionate and competent developers and keep their institutional knowledge for this time. It is perhaps more amazing that the ecosystem companies have managed to keep paying jobs for them: go LibreOffice!

I'd prefer if only community members without potential CoI share their
opinion on this topic.

        Clearly opinions can differ without anyone needing to be paid.

For my part I'd like to pay a quick tribute to László - there is really a lot to say - much more than I can fit in a paragraph.

László has contributed a huge amount to LibreOffice, not just the 700+ code commits[1], but also authoring our hunspell spell checker infrastructure (László has helped spell-check much of the web too via Mozilla & Chrome ;-). He authored our Lightproof grammar checker, the Hungarian spell checking dictionary, and don't let me forget LibreLogo - what better mix of TDF's educational purpose and promoting LibreOffice =) as well as being a long-term TDF member, working for FSF.hu, NISZ and perhaps more.

Did I mention what a positive and thoughtful contributor to discussions he has been too - and what a wide experience of different FLOSS projects he has ? =) Thanks for all you do László =)

Accusations of CoI can be extremely divisive, it is not a small thing to baselesly suggest inappropriate behavior - to shut someone down.

I also have no idea why it's not possible to work on a common ground of
LOOL (LibreOffice Online) and why it is/was instead necessary to fork
the code away from the LibreOffice community and rename it.

        This is covered as a FAQ:

        https://collaboraonline.github.io/post/faq/#own-project

Projects are all different - as you point out. Some go through periods of turmoil and strain and then come out of them again - I'm really hoping that LibreOffice can re-focus and move on constructively.

        Regards,

                Michael.

[1] - https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/credits/
--