On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 11:25 AM François Ozog <francois.o...@linaro.org>
wrote:

> "packed" at least works otherwise no network protocol would be operating
> as expected.

that is a very common misconception. C code for networks existed for
decades before packed existed.

packed does not exist in plan 9 compilers to this day and they work fine
without it.

The use of packed almost always indicated non-portable assumptions or just
plain bad design.
Let's stop doing that.

Well, some HOBs can be like that because when you are configuring the DRAM
> controllers and the like, each byte on data and instructions count. So
> those can't be anything but compact binary objects. As we grow up in the
> layers, HOBs may evolve. Natural candidate for embedded world is Device
> Tree. But why not CBOR or things like that.

I think device tree would be fine. And defining a marshaling rule from
device tree to compact structs for DRAM controllers is a solved problem.

Device tree is a FAR better choice than HOBs. HOBs were a mistake from the
time they were created.