A strong solar storm can cause a complete blackout of HF communication
including the higher frequency bands. I was in a QSO a year or so ago and it
just dropped as a solar storm hit. The noise floor dropped to zero as not even
noise could propagate through the highly energized atmosphere.

Lesser solar storms can increase noise particularly on the lower bands so 80
might be unusable while 20 might just be noisy.

David WJ9O