i am afraid you are wrong about that, john
(if i understand you right)

my method checks if a set of given data already exists in the db - and
if so, return a "duplicate content" error (if you add the appropriate
text message)
and instead of only one pair as the core function this can check on
multiple dependencies as well
just as swanny asked