Hi!

I have a CakePHP application that serves a website and serves as a
datasource for an AJAX application.

Due to the large amount of ajax requests, I had a lot of database
connections so I decided to cache everything using memcache.

This all works fine, but now I have database connections that execute
only one query: "SET NAMES utf8". I guess because cake - by default -
connects to the database even though in the case of the ajax requests
I don't even use the DB.

Is there a way to tell Cake not to try to connect to the database by
default (but only when I use the ajax call)?

Regards,
thisk

their CakePHP related questions.