On Apr 23, 11:52 am, paws_galuten <jason.galu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great, that helps a lot. I still don't understand why when I do cake
> acl view aco I get just group.id etc and in most examples online
> people get more detailed info. Should I be using an alias instead of a
> group model? What's the difference?

Sorry, I don't know what the issue could be.

> Basically, I just want to have 3 types of users and depending upon the
> type, there should be different things happening on a specific page.
> It's fine to limit the actions using ACL but more importantly (for the
> user interface) is to have links to the actions only appear when a
> user from the correct group is logged in.

You could ditch ACL altogether and just store the Group name in the
session. Then, check that wherever you would have checked with ACL.

> I'm sure a million people have asked this so thanks for your patience
> and please direct me to any older posts that may have answered this. I
> just don't know what to search for!

I remember trying to sort out ACL awhile back and becoming completely
confused by what I was reading online. There seem to be many
permutations and what I was trying to do didn't seem to be implemented
by anyone else (record-level access). I got it to work but have no
idea if it's "correct". It works, anyway.

their CakePHP related questions.