FYI

I'm pleased to re post this speech one more time. I'm sorry if I
displease somebody. I love this speech so much because it reflects my real
life experience.

I believe the Old Generation for those who was born in the
30, 40, 50, and the new generation are those in the 60, 70, 80,..I
hope and wish we can bridge this two Generations...

Best Regards,

Perom

P.S. My special thanks to my dear friend Tay,Kim Heng for making this
speech.
  Good Morning Ladies, Gentlemen, Parents and Friends!

It is a great honor for me to have the opportunity to share my
view of HOW we together can help BRIDGE THE GENERATION GAP and REVITALIZE
our
culture and pride, while we integrate in the main stream of America.

I am impressed and moved by today event and I would like to
take this opportunity to thank for the joint effort made by communities here
in San Jose and from around the Bay Areas,  from LOWELL HS (especially
Lucinda for her participation in this Forum in taking very good care of
Guest
Reception Desk) and from Hawaii, Ms. Leakhena.  Leakhena, the success of
your
study not only helps your career but also benefits communities here and in
our homeland as well, because of your ability to utilize your skills and
talents towards the development of mankind.

The Cambodian-American dialog forum today is a great
opportunity of  us to have a chance to know where we came from before we
know first
who we are, extend our friendship, share our success and failure, and to
voice our concern, so that we can all succeed together.  I believe that this
forum will be significant in our attempt to

                     "UNIFY THE KHMER COMMUNITIES".

      What we see TODAY is different from what we saw decades ago
after our country had been torn apart by war and the communist regime.  We
have  passed the two most critical periods of our lives as Cambodian
Refugees in America:

The destruction of our country in the 70's and the resettlement transition
in the 80's.  Then, we were preoccupied with our new
lives in  America, adapting to culture differences, new careers and a new
language.

The 90's marked the emergence of the Cambodian-American
communities. We are less preoccupied that the 80's.  We contribute time and
effort to strengthen our communities.   We see Cambodian Temples in most
counties which play a major roles in maintaining our tradition and culture.

TODAY, to look back to our first days in America when all we
had we carried in a white refugee plastic bag, and after struggling for the
last 18 years, we can say we have made significant achievements.  we see
a new dynamic work force of our NEW GENERATION, who graduated from different
Universities across America and around the world, with different
skills and talents in the fields such as Engineering, Law, Business and
finance,
Medical/Pharmaceutical, Social and Education.
we have dedicated and talented Khmer with different expertise
working across America and around the world, in private industries and
government agencies.  But now we must gather the individual effort and work
toward achieving a common goal.

This is why the Cambodian-American Dialogue Forum today will be
such a significant step in our attempt to UNIFY KHMER COMMUNITIES TOGETHER,
so that we can all be proud of our KHMER HERITAGE.

Take a look at our panelist.  You represent our new generation of  hope.  I
am confident that the NEW GENERATION can play an important role in bridging
the generation gap by using their knowledge, skills and
talents. you are the essential resource, companion and supporter, and are
the
role models of the NEXT GENERATION and will help revitalize our pride and
 promote youth toward the realization of his/her potential and the
value of education.

    - As a resource: you can help youth acquire knowledge,
information and skills;  introduce youth to new people, places, interests,
and ideas.
     - As companion:  you can help share interests and experiences
with youth.

      -As a supporter:  you can help boost youth's self-esteem;
support a youth's effort, ideas and concerns.  You can help youth set goals
and help them how to reach their goals;  Encourage youth to do well and to
try
things on his/her own;  Encourage not only youth but the temple
communities to participate in the Buddhist outreach program to help preserve
our
 culture and tradition.

     - As a role model:  you can act as a model for civil and
appropriate behavior and attitudes;  Expand youth perspective and help
define
 manhood/womanhood.   To fulfill our goals so that we  can benefit, we as
communities,
 parents, and peers have major roles
- First, is to  encourage youth to complete their secondary education,
pursue higher learning   or vocational goals, and  provide access to
 varying points of view.

 - Second, is to present information carefully without distortion and
give all points of view a fair     hearing.

-Third, is to foster a professional relationship with youth which
shall not be used for private      advantage to involve youth or their
parents
in schemes for commercial or political gain.

 Together, we will proudly light the way to OUR NEXT GENERATION!

  John Lenon once said:

      I hope someday you'll join us and the world will be as one!

  *****I listen the Lenon CD again and again *****

Mr. Perom Uch
www.caraweb.org/about.html
http://www.thinkmassmedia.com/PUINT01.html