Bertrand Desmons wrote:
> I followed your trick and now compilation is OK.

Excellent - good to know that the trick is consistent for other libraries
too!

> Just a remark however (maybe it's the key for the porblem): when
> renaming
> the old 'liblapack.a', Windows asked me a confirmation, arguing that
> the
> file is a system file.

I don't think it is - I think it's to do with abstractions in libtool. Try
resetting the permissions on the files in C:\cygwin\lib using Windows
Explorer (though note that may upset Cygwin!!!).

I expect that problem with your .a files is Cygwin's interaction with NTFS
permissions - if you only use Cygwin to build OCaml and related things then
I'd suggest having the environment variable CYGWIN=nontsec set (which,
counter-intuitively, means "use NT native file permissions instead of
POSIX-over-NTFS"). I expect that your installation of the libraries
inherited weird permissions when you installed them because Cygwin by
default emulates Unix's user-group-other permissions rather than NT's
inherited ACLs which is fine if you spend your entire life in Cygwin's bash
but is a pain if you use Windows on the same files as well (it's OK under XP
but under Vista manipulation of any files touched by Cygwin becomes
virtually impossible owing, admittedly, to clear bugs in Vista's crappy
explorer making any operations hideously slow...)

David