Hi Sandra,

The FTDI USB is a USB slave (hence the Type B port) which you can plug
into to read console messages from the ROACH. It's labelled FTDI
because (I assume) it connects internally to a chip made by FTDI which
gives USB access to other stuff (JTAG, etc.) as well as the console.

The "PPC USB" us a USB host port for the ROACH's PowerPC CPU -- i.e.,
if you plugged a USB flash drive in there, you would be able to access
it from the PowerPC.

You're definitely plugged into the right port. As
https://casper.ssl.berkeley.edu/wiki/Getting_Started_with_ROACH2
suggests, ttyUSB2 should be the right port, but if you have other
devices plugged in as well this might be different. Do you still see
nothing in minicom even when you reboot the board with minicom open?

Cheers
Jack