sad news about arecibo damage from broken cable:

photo of damaged dish in this news piece:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9358be/a-broken-cable-has-wrecked-one-of-earths-largest-radio-telescopes

a few details :

Becker, Tracy M. tracy.bec...@swri.org via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en> berkeley.edu
4:16 AM (10 hours ago)
to aous...@naic.edu

Dear AO Users,

We have unfortunate news to share with the AO community. Early yesterday
morning one of the auxiliary cables at tower 4 of the Arecibo Observatory
experienced a failure.

Fortunately, there were no resulting injuries to our team. The cable
failure damaged 250 panels of the primary dish, as well as 6-8 panels on
the Gregorian Dome.

The telescope is currently undergoing inspections so that the following
tasks can be accomplished:

   - Safely remove debris, preventing them from causing more damage.
   - Position the Gregorian dome in a structurally stable (stow) position.
   - Develop a plan for damage repair

*There will be no observations at the Arecibo Observatory for at least two
weeks.*

As soon as we have completed our initial assessment, we will share more
details regarding the cable failure and our plans going forward to address
this issue.

We thank the AO community for their support at this time.

Sincerely,

Ray Lugo, Francisco Cordova, and the AO management team