Hi Neil,

regarding using GPU's or FPGA's for the X engine of an FX correlator:

You probably appreciate GPU's are best used in correlators with a large
number of antennas.
The problem with using GPU's for a small number of antennas is the GPU is
limited by input data rate.

The correlator input data rate is proportional to Nantenna, and the
correlator X engine computation rate is proportional to Nantenna^2.
I think with modern GPUs you need about 1024 antennas before you aren't I/O
bound and can take advantage of the GPU's computational power;
otherwise the GPU will be idle waiting for data.

One way out of this problem is to find an application which can use the GPU
for additional tasks besides correlation - tasks that don't need much I/O.
Another possibility is to use cheap GPU's that can't do much computation,
but then the host computer dominates the cost and power comsumption of the
Xengine.

FPGA's have a lot more I/O capacity and are lower power than GPU's, but as
you know, they are harder to program.

I think most modern GPU's can do integer arithmetic with a selectable
number of bits, similar to FPGA's.
But because floating point is easier, and many correlator GPU applications
are I/O bound,
most people send their data as small fixed point numbers into the GPU for
correlation (eg: 4 bit real, 4 bit imag), but then compute the correlation
in floating point.

 Best Wishes,

Dan