Hi everyone,

   On my way in to work this morning I heard a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL calling in
the western part of Sapsucker Woods.  I only heard and did not see the bird
calling from near the top of a tall white pine located south across the path
from the shelter that is at the intersection of the Wilson Trail and
Severinghaus Trail.  The calls that I heard were roughly a half-dozen sequences
of 6 to 8 "toot" notes, fairly soft but clearly audible.  After the second
sequence of toots, I whistled back, which I guess prompted a bit more tooting
by the owl.  However, I don't think that the bird moved as it called, with all
of the calls seeming to come from somewhere deep in the branches within the top
2 or 3 metres of the pine.  I am also guessing that the original trigger for
calling was related to a group of 5 crows that landed in the top of the same
pine tree, calling loudly but not obviously physically mobbing.

   Oh, and the COMMON REDPOLL is persisting around the feeder garden at the Lab
of Ornithology, being fairly vocal with both call notes as it flies around and
the occasional zzzzziiiipp call/partial song.

Wesley