There must be a lot of NELSON'S SPARROWs around, because this morning I has
one pop up in the wetland to the north of the Lab of Ornithology this morning.
It's a new Sapsucker Woods bird for me and in eBird.  I saw the bird for about
30 seconds while I was standing on the short boardwalk leading to the Owen's
Platform, feeding on a cattail in the narrow water-filled area to the east of
the walk.  The bird subsequently dropped down and a bit north toward the thick
alders that cross the boardwalk.  When in view, I had nice looks at the bird
(streaked upper breast and flanks with a warm base colour, a smaller sparrow
more comparable in size to a chickadee than Swamp Sparrow as judged by the
Nelson's Sparrow displacing a Black-capped Chickadee from a cattail, warm tan
in the lighter shades on the sides of its head with a narrow grey mid-crown
stripe).

   Apologies for not posting earlier, as I have just gotten to a place where I
could both enter my list on eBird and post this e-mail message.

Wesley Hochachka