Donna,

   My guess is that the bird has salmonellosis.  Unfortunately, I think that
every year that there is a major redpoll irruption, some birds start dying of
salmonellosis: we see redpolls that are listless, sitting for long periods of
time motionless and with their feathers puffed up enormously...and then they
die and drop to the ground.  To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing that
can be done about an individual sick redpoll in that case.  However, I also
think that this means that you should start thinking about preventative
measures like:

-          If you handle a sick redpoll, wash your hands very thoroughly (same
advice as for the flu) afterwards.

-          If you have a pet that could eat dead or dying birds, do what you
can to minimize the potential for pet and bird coming into contact for your
pet's sake.

-          You also have to decide on the extent to which you want to try to
minimize spread of the pathogen, like moving feeders to a different location
away from contaminated ground, adding new feeders or spacing existing feeders
further apart to lower the rates of contact between birds, or as an extreme
case taking your feeders down for a while to disperse the birds that are now
visiting.
Regarding this last item, I'm not suggesting that the redpoll contracted the
disease at your feeders: redpolls are gregarious, and so they are a species
that makes it easy for pathogens to spread.  Also, as I wrote, redpoll
irruptions and salmonella outbreaks seem to go hand in hand, so while disease
and death are unfortunate, your finding a sick bird is unfortunately not
unexpected.

Wesley Hochachka