Hi everyone,

   As one of the people at the Lab of O who regularly works with data from
eBird, I’ll give you my take on answering Deb’s question, from the perspective
of someone who is interested in using the data from eBird for research, both
for basic science, and applied conservation and management purposes.  However,
much of what I’ll write also applies to birders wanting to know when and where
they can find a species of interest to them.  For all of these purposes, it is
important that we can learn both where a species of bird exists, as well as
where a species does *not* exist.  In order to understand where a species does
not exist, eBird uses two types of information.

   First, there is the answer to the question “is this a complete checklist of
all bird species that you detected and identified?”  If the answer to this
question is “no, this is not a complete list”, then we have no clue whether any
particular species not on that checklist was actually present.  However, if the
question is answered “yes, I am reporting all of the species that I saw and
identified” then we at least know that the species in question was either: (1)
really not present, or (2) present but undetected.

   The second type of information collected by eBird is needed in order to help
distinguish between a species not being present, or that species just evading
detection even though it was actually at the location.  This second type of
information is what we generally refer to as “effort information”, things like:
the length of time spent birding, the distance traveled while birding, the time
of day, and the number of people in the group that was birding.  The longer
someone spends looking for birds, the more likely it is that they’ll find and
identify a species, when that species is actually present.  The more pairs of
eyes and ears looking and listening for birds, the more likely that any bird
will be found…at least up to a point: we’re found that as the size of birding
groups gets too large, the likelihood of finding some species will decline.
The time of day is important, because some bird species have times of day (or
night) when they’re easily found, but other times at which it’s essentially
impossible to detect a species, for example because the species becomes silent
and inactive.

   Simplifying things (a lot), it’s possible to figure out where a species is
not found, by giving more weight to checklists on which a species was very
likely to have been reported, *if* the species had actually been present (i.e.
checklists from observations collected with sufficient effort and at a time of
day when a species would likely to have been detected if it was present).
Also, it’s important to have information from a large number of checklists,
such that you’re more confident that a species is absent if many observers
haven’t reported a species.  It’s still impossible to be absolutely certain
that a species is absent, especially for hard-to-see species like owls and
rails, so in the end the best anyone can do is to conclude that it is highly
likely that a species is not present.

   Some people might know that there are methods that have been created for
analyzing “presence-only” data, but we’ve concluded that they should basically
never be used with data from eBird.  We’ve experimented with dumbing down eBird
data --- removing all of the effort information --- and trying out these
presence-only analysis methods on the resultant data.  We’ve found that these
presence-only methods do a worse job of describing where a species is and is
not present.  Even the creator of the most widely used method for analyzing
presence-only data has told us that it makes no sense to use his analysis
methods with information from eBird.  These presence-only analysis methods are
a sort of desperation option for use with information that comes from sources
like museum specimens, for which there are just a bunch of presence
“observations” sitting in boxes and drawers.

   So…what has this got to do with camera traps?  The problem is that there’s
no good way to report effort (would you report just the minute in which a bird
triggered the camera, the entire hour before the picture was taken, the
half-hour afterward?).  The idea of a “complete” checklist is also stretched to
the breaking point, because these cameras don’t identify birds by their
vocalizations which is very different than many or most birders, so a camera
trap may have close to zero chance to detecting most of the birds species in an
area.  Also, is someone likely to report every species photographed, or just
the species that they think are particularly interesting?
   Admittedly, it would be possible to cobble together some sort of effort
information, but cameras are so different from human beings that any
information from camera traps in eBird would just introduce noise into any sort
of analysis or interpretation that is based on assuming that all of the
observations are made by people.  It would be a completely different story if
*all* of the observations are being made by camera traps, in which case
observations from the cameras are comparable (Snapshot Serengeti is a good
demonstration of this, I think), and the occasional human-made observation
would just cause problems.
   Basically, eBird was not designed for, and shouldn’t be used for information
from camera traps (or reports of dead birds, or reports of birds seen and heard
from live-streaming feeder cams).  That’s not the sort of information that
eBird was designed to collect.

   Having written that, personally, I see nothing wrong with including a camera
trap’s photograph as an accompaniment to an eBird checklist documenting
observations that a person has made, even if the human observation was from a
different (but nearby) period of time, like hearing an owl at dusk and then
having the camera trap photograph it later in the evening.  A photograph like
that is just support for the auditory identification.  I will hasten to add
that I am just expressing my own personal opinion here, and I am absolutely,
totally *not* stating or creating any official eBird policy.

   Finally, I’ll quickly note that eBird checklists of camera-trap
“observations” are problematic from a birding perspective, because it’s not
clear if a bird watcher has actually seen or heard a species themselves, and
there’s a potentially slippery slope running from reporting that one has seen a
species in a photo from their camera trap, through to having seen species on a
feeder cam, and further into a gray zone of what it means to put a species on
one’s life list.  An arbitrary line has to be drawn somewhere, and eBird (and,
I think, birders in general) draw that line at requiring an actual human to
have detected a species in real time.

   For those of you who made it to the end of this uncharacteristically long
CAYUGABIRDS-L post, apologies for my verbosity, but I just cannot think of a
briefer way of answering Deb’s question.

Wesley