From: CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of P Hubbard
Sent: Thu 9/13/2007 12:57 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Protein models in Blender

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. With regards to Povray, I had mentioned that program
as I had hoped that you could use a povray file generated in
ccp4mg/povray/etc and then somehow read that into blender for futher editing
(and make my life much easier - editing povray files to alter figures is a
real pain). Blender can render figures using its own machine, with YafRay,
or export it to povray format.

>From what I've read, VRML format is not a good one, as for some reason
blender runs really slow after reading these files in.

Thanks.

>From: "Michel Fodje" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "P Hubbard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>CC: <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
>Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Protein models in Blender
>Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:38:04 -0600
>
>Povray is just a renderer like the renderer in blender, only in the case
>of povray, the input file defines the model. I would think that if it is
>possible to generate a povray input file from molecule objects, it
>should be possible to generate a VRML file which blender can open. If
>I'm not mistaken, Mike Carson's Ribbons is able to write VRML files.
>
>/Michel
>On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 12:23 -0700, P Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've had some spare time to teach myself blender, which seems to me to
>be a
> > powerful model editing and animation tool. However, I've not found any
> > python scripts or software to convert objects such as ribbons mesh made
>in
> > ccp4mg or pymol into something that blender can use (I know its not
>science,
> > but it makes making figures more fun). I read a message posted a few
>years
> > back which suggested it is possible, but there were no details on how it
>was
> > done.
> >
> > Is there anyone out there who has done this?
> >
> > P.S: AFAIK, you can't do it via povray.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > AGS

> > Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger
> > Café. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline1

A place for moms to take a break!