You might want to take a look at the following paper:

Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 1999 Feb;55(Pt 2):479-83.
How many water molecules can be detected by protein crystallography?

Carugo O<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Carugo%20O%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
Bordo D<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Bordo%20D%22%5BAuthor%5D>
.

Mario Sanches