Another thing to try when cryoprotecting any crystals grown at room temp using
a volatile precipitant is to first transfer the crystal tray to 4 degrees, then
quickly add a cold aliquot of a viscous cryoprotectant to the drop. Evaporation
is considerably slower at 4 degrees, and I prefer to use glycerol as
cryoprotectant because it significantly slows down the "random walk" of the
crystals through the drop. It makes it so much easier to fish crystals out of
the drop if they're not moving at lightning speed...

Place the tray at 4 degrees about 20-30 minutes prior to opening the drop. Any
longer incubation at lower temp can result in extra nucleation or crystal
dissolution.

BTW, good luck trying to use a really volatile organic as a cryoprotectant.
Every few years I try it and the crystals just get blown out of the cryoloop by
the nitrogen gas stream.

Diana

On Jan 24, 2014, at 5:31 PM, "Mark van der Woerd"