Hi all,

The problem with COOT stereo and Windows 10 is that the COOT binary is
not compatible with the newer OpenGL drivers or somesuch in Windows 10.
So, COOT runs fine in Windows 10 but crashes if you enter hardware
stereo mode. However, PyMOL works fine in stereo in Windows 10.

According to Bernhard Lohkamp, the Windows COOT developer, this problem
has not yet been fixed because he has no access to a Windows 10 PC.

Therefore, stick to Windows 7 if you want to run COOT stereo on a cheap
Quadro card.

Best regards,

Pedro

Às 04:38 de 31/01/2019, Jim Fairman escreveu:
> I had a Windows 7 machine that would run Quad buffered stereo back
> around 2009, haven't had a chance to try with Windows 10.
>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2019, 02:03 Jan Stransky <jan.stransky.c...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jan.stransky.c...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     I started looking into the never ending story of stereo in
>     crystallography... As with our standardized linux setup we
>     probably are not willing to move to X.org-world, if was wondering,
>     if anybody was succesful to make stereo working in Windows 10. I
>     did read some NVIDIA forum, and it seems that 3d vision is not
>     very supported by NVIDIA, even for gamers... Was anybody able to
>     mke it work with Geforce cards, to save few bucks?
>
>     Best regards,
>
>     Jan
>
>     Dne 03.01.2018 v 10:42 Wim Burmeister napsal(a):
>>     I answer a bit late, but I repost a message on 3D graphics from
>>     Mai 2017 :
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     we just wanted to share our experience in finding a configuration
>>     which allows to use 3D graphics under linux using Nvidia GeForce
>>     3D glasses.
>>
>>     We had quite a hard time to find a configurations which works
>>     correctly.
>>
>>     We finally used Debian linux with a xfce desktop. Other recent
>>     desktops use a tiling which is not compatible with 3D graphics.
>>
>>     The hardware consists of
>>
>>       * a DELL Precision T5810  desktop computer with an Nvidia
>>         Quadro M4000 (8 Gbyte memory, 4 DP) graphics card
>>       * Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision 2 (NVIDIA GEF 3D VISION 2 GLASSES
>>         KIT) active stereo glasses
>>       * a stereo connector PNY Quadro 4000 3D for the synchronization
>>         of graphics card and glasses
>>       * an ASUS 24" LED 3D - VG248QE display
>>       * a DisplayPort-DisplayPort cable
>>
>>     The Nvidia linux drivers from version 367.57 can handle the
>>     current version of the Nvidia glasses.
>>
>>     For an obscure reason a direct DP-DP connection between graphics
>>     card and display is absolutely required in order to obtain fully
>>     working stereo. If a DP-DVI dual link adapter is used, the stereo
>>     does not work on the top and the bottom part of the screen. This
>>     is true for a native DELL active adaptor or generic models. The
>>     exact reason remains unresolved, but the solution is to use a
>>     direct DP-DP connection. This limits the available choice of
>>     displays which require 120 Hz for 1080*1980 screen resolution and
>>     a DP input. We have been choosing a “Nvidia 3D ready” model.
>>
>>     There has been a considerate about of exchange about this problem on
>>

>> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/992892/linux/partially-working-stereoscopic-effect-with-3d-vision-under-debian-linux/
>>
>>     The setup comes with a price tag of about 1600 € free of taxes.
>>
>>     coot, pymol and chimera work straight without problems in
>>     hardware stereo mode. The experience is absolutely great.
>>
>>     Best
>>
>>     Wim

> [...]

Industry and Medicine Applied Crystallography
Macromolecular Crystallography Unit
___________________________________
Phones : (351-21) 446-9100 Ext. 1669
         (351-21) 446-9669 (direct)
 Fax   : (351-21) 441-1277 or 443-3644

email : mat...@itqb.unl.pt

http://www.itqb.unl.pt/research/biological-chemistry/industry-and-medicine-applied-crystallography
http://www.itqb.unl.pt/labs/macromolecular-crystallography-unit

Mailing address :
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica António Xavier
Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Av. da República
2780-157 Oeiras
PORTUGAL

ITQB NOVA, a great choice for your PhD
https://youtu.be/de6j-aaTWNQ

Master Programme in Biochemistry for Health
https://youtu.be/UKstDCFjYI8