On 06/28/2020 05:28 PM, ben via cctalk wrote:

Since punchcards I think had a 16 bit encoding, lack of byte data
was not big problem. Who used paper tape on a 360?
IBM punch cards had 12 rows of holes. For alpha encoding, logic in the controller converted that to EBCDIC or your machine's favorite internal character interpretation.

On the IBM 360, there was a straight binary encoding using only 8 bits for the data (80 bytes/card) or using all 12 bits of two character positions to encode 3 bytes. that way, you got 120 bytes/card.

I don't know any way to get 16-bit encoding on punch cards of that format. Maybe some other manufacturer's punch card format.

We had paper tape read and punch on a 360/50 at University or Missouri at Rolla. It was used for compatibility with the Data General minicomputers there. Only place I've ever seen paper tape on a 360.

Jon