On 5/22/21 6:50 PM, Lyle Bickley via cctalk wrote:
Wow, never heard of "Tokenray" ;)

Nor have I.

BTW: 16 Mbit Token Ring was much more reliable (especially in "noisy" environments) and considerably faster with more consistent performance than 10 Mbit Ethernet.

I've heard tell that Token Ring worked MUCH better on extremely busy networks. Purportedly Ethernet starts having problems when there are more and more systems and / or a higher and higher percentage of utilization is happening. I seem to remember that Ethernet had problems starting about 80% utilization while Token Ring could easily handle 95% utilization or higher.

plus IBM never upgraded Token Ring past 16 Mbit.

Sure they did.

You can find commercial Token Ring cards that support, 4 Mbps, 16 Mbps, /and/ *100* Mbps. I see them on eBay monthly.

I heard that IBM developed 1,000 Mbps / 1 Gbps Token Ring in the lab. But that no commercial products were ever made.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die