Your troubles with USB floppy drives reinforces my own experiences. They seem
to work okay in windows using a Microsoft written utility but not too well in
dos or user written programs. It’s hit or miss as to if the program will see
the usb floppy. However, using a builtin floppy always seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone