At a local linux meeting, the leader was disparaging any resurrection of old
technology

Anybody else reminded of the science fiction story where ethereal life forms
arrive from a distant star system after receiving our first radio
transmissions.  life that eats radio and electricity, starting with the
frequencies of our first transmissions, but then mutating(?) to all radio, then
electricity even in wires, and wiping out all communications, vehicles, etc.
There is a desperate project to resurrect steam engines (to build other steam
engines) and breed horses.  All those steam train museums turn out to be what
saves humanity.  just now I realized..shouldn't they also consume all the light
too?  But I guess they can't go beyond microwaves.

<pre>--Carey</pre>