> Pascal never really made it on the microcomputer platform did it?

> I can be convinced otherwise but it seems like microcomputing Pascal
> was more of a staging environment for then upload into a production
> mainframe/mini

Pascal was the language of choice over at Apple in the original MacOS
days, and as Mike has noted Turbo Pascal was popular enough on the PC;
it was more, I think, that the UCSD-style language-environment-as-OS
paradigm never caught on in the microcomputer world. Early consumer
micros of course had ROM BASIC, but once you got past that to a
reasonably full-featured operating system, there was no compelling
reason for it to be tightly coupled to one particular language/compiler
when it could just as easily treat compilers as Yet Another Program and
support arbitrarily many.