How much did you know about tub files or Telex exchanges at their age? Same
deal.

You know about it because you were there, and you’re confusing knowledge of a
specific era with knowledge of the era immediately prior to one’s own.

Will people who weren’t alive for the computers of the 80s feel for them the
way people who remember them do? Of course not. They’ll feel that way about a
generation newer, in the same way that as a hobbyist you didn’t build your own
edge-notched card system. We’re already seeing Gen Z enthusiasts get really
into late-90s off-brand beige Wintel boxen, which is baffling to me as someone
who lived through that era and thinks it’s about as exciting as collecting
Kleenex, but that’s their version of Millennials trying to revive the 80s
technofuture.

Remember that relative age and absolute age are not interchangeable, and
consider whether you celebrate the era you do because you picked it out of all
the possibilities, or because it’s what’s nostalgic for you based on when you
were forming those early memories. :)

—m.a

(the TL;dr is that any statement that hinges on “kids these days can’t $skill”
is usually not materially of much weight and is a lack of perspective on the
speaker’s part. It was said about your generation by your parents, and the one
before that, and the one before that, back to the first sharpened stone. The
specifics change, but the phenomenon hasn’t been new for twenty thousand years.

Don't get your mind get old. It’s a choice.)