Hi Mark,

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Mark Rijnbeek <ma...@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> I was wondering: if the structure has explicit aromaticity bonds, would
> it not be better to preserve this in the container? Rather than
> overruling it with the CDK's aromaticity detection.

AFAIK the SMILES specification dictates that the parser detects the
aromaticity...

The OpenSMILES specs have this to say about it:

"In an aromatic system, all of the aromatic atoms must be sp2
hybridized, and the number of Pi electrons must meet Hückel's 4N+2
criterion. When parsing a SMILES, a parser must note the aromatic
designation of each atom on input, then when the parsing is complete,
the SMILES software must verify that electrons can be assigned without
violating the valence rules, consistent with the sp2 markings, the
specified or implied hydrogens, external bonds, and charges on the
atoms."

Really, I have been having discussions over this since the start of
the CDK... please have a look in the archives for the full
discussions...

What about making an option: "Don't verify aromaticity, and take
whatever is encoded in the SMILES" ?

It would not reflect the SMILES specification, but everyone seems a
bit agnostics about the specs and use it in whatever way they think is
suitable...

I'm done discussing SMILES...

Egon

--